- 1 egg, beaten
- 125 ml low fat or skimmed milk (1/2 c)
- 125 ml gluten free self raising flour (1/2 c)
- 125 ml legume flour, (preferably lower fat soya flour)(1/2 c)
- 5 ml baking powder (1 t)
- 1.25 ml salt (1/4 t)
- 15 ml soft margarine, lite (1 T)
- Break the egg into a medium bowl, beat the egg, using a whisk and add the milk – Combine well.
- Sift the two flours, baking powder and salt onto the egg and milk mixture. – Combine well, with the whisk.
- Spray a 200 mm diameter non-stick frying pan (with a lid) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt the margarine in the greased pan on medium heat and pour into the above batter. Mix through with the whisk.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Cover the pan with the lid to cook the bread all the way through.
- Allow the bread to brown on one side for about 5 – 7 minutes; then turn the bread over carefully using a large egg lifter and brown on the other side, for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Cut the bread into 8 equal portions and serve 1 – 2 portions per person with gluten free homemade soup or
salad and a small portion of low fat protein, if desired to make a balanced meal.
Onion, garlic and herb bread:
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2.5 ml crushed garlic (1/2 t)
- 2.5 ml dried mixed herbs (1/2 t)
- Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray and sauté together the onion and garlic.
- When the onion is cooked, add it to the batter mixture and cook as above.
Cheese and herb bread:
- 2.5 ml dried herbs of your choice (1/2 t)
- 30 glower fat cheese, grated (1 matchbox)
- Add the above ingredients to the batter mixture and cook as above.
Nutrients per serving
- Glycemic Index intermediate (62)
- Carbohydrates 12.0 g
- Protein 6.0 g
- Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated fat 0.8 g
- Fibre 1.4 g
- kJ 393
- Glycemic Load 8
One portion is equivalent to : 1/2 starch + 1/2 legume protein + 1/2 fat
Recipe taken from Sustained Energy for Gluten Free Eaters